Rick Rolltop Backpack PDF Sewing Pattern (Includes an A0 File, Projector File, and Video!)
This listing is for a DOWNLOADABLE PDF pattern only! You are NOT purchasing a completed rolltop backpack! By purchasing this pattern Linds Handmade LLC grants the purchaser a non-exclusive, non-transferable, simple right of use license to use the sewing pattern for personal or limited commercial use. The rights to reproduce, publish or distribute the sewing pattern in whole or in part, to allow third parties to use it, to edit it or to change it in any form is strictly prohibited. Commercial use is limited to individual brand sales and is prohibited for mass production or manufacturers.
With this purchase you will receive an instant download PDF pattern with printable pattern pieces for the irregularly shaped pieces, and a cut list for the remaining large rectangle shapes. For those wanting full pattern pieces for ALL pieces, an A0 file is included so you can have them printed at a print shop. (We’ve also included a dedicated projector file as well.) As with all our patterns, you will find detailed pictures, and step by step instructions on how to make your own rolltop style backpack. There is even a full-length how-to video on our YouTube channel, Linds Handmade Designs, showing you how to make this bag from start to finish if you need any additional support.
This is an intermediate pattern, in that it uses advanced bag making techniques that require the sewer to have a general familiarity with bag making. It requires accurate cutting/sewing and installing a curved zipper which can be challenging for new sewers.
Specs for the standard size: approximately 12” wide by 8” deep and 16” tall. The petite is approximately 10” wide by 6” deep by 15½” tall. The pattern also includes instructions for an optional, removable sternum strap as well. It features 2 exterior side zipper pockets, 2 side mesh pockets, one back zipper pocket, and one interior slip pocket.
Materials & Supplies:
- 1 yard main fabric 56” wide
- ⅓ yard accent fabric 56” wide
- 1 yard lining fabric 56” wide
- 1¼ yard of #5 zipper by the yard (1 yard for Petite size)
- (3) #5 zipper pulls
- 2 yards of 1” nylon webbing (3 yards if doing sternum strap)
- 20” of ¾” webbing (*optional for sternum strap)
- 16” of 1” wide fold-over elastic (12” for Petite size)
- ⅓ yard of sport mesh fabric
- (2) 1” ladder lock adjustable buckles
- (1) 1” adjustable side release buckle
- (1) ¾” adjustable side release buckle (*optional for sternum strap)
- (2) removable sternum triglides (*optional for sternum strap)
- ¼ yard Pellon Flex-Foam stabilizer
- ½ yard 20” wide Decovil heavy or Peltex F71
- ⅛” double-sided tape
- Sewing clips
- Marking pen